Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pops

Unlike having three mothers. I only had one Dad. My paternal grandfather passed away when I was 2 and I never knew my maternal grandfather. There was only my Dad. My dad taught me how to fish, how to swim, how to "be tough" and how to be strong.
But these are the most important lessons I think my dad taught me:
  1. We all make mistakes, but a real man admits it takes his licks. Those of you out there who know my dad, might think I was on some drug when writing this. Hearing my dad say the words "I'm sorry" in any really sincere way are about as likely as wining the Pick 5. But, dad has his way of letting you know. And when he knows he's wrong (which, dad, I know NEVER happens ;)) he will let you know he's sorry. I spent many years avoiding my mistakes, afraid of what people would think of me, if I wasn't perfect. It was watching my dad that taught me, a man is not afraid of his mistakes, he owns them and owns up to them.
  2. Life is too short to waste on worrying. Don't waste your energy holding grudges. Enjoy everyday you get.
  3. Find a woman who will love you even on the days she can't stand to look at you.
  4. Find a woman you love even on the days you can't stand to look at her.
  5. Know your own weaknesses. We all have them, if you know them, you can laugh with everyone else about them.
  6. Be yourself, because being someone else is too much work.
  7. Stand up for what you believe, even it makes other people angry.
  8. Never let only the fact that someone disagrees with you (about politics or business or anything else) change the way you treat them.
  9. No matter how angry someone gets with you, don't go away. The longer they have to deal with you as a living breathing person in front of them, they shorter their anger will last.
  10. Don't back down from a fight but never start one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, as much as I love your father, and have since I met him, I never knew how smart and how wise he is!!

RJ said...

It took me about 35 years to figure out. . .